Monday, June 25, 2012

Greece vs. Italy... at the table!



Although I am following the Euro football championship (and happy that Italy passed through to semi finals last night ;) ), this post has nothing to do with the event! 
In fact, this post is about 2 countries that are close to my heart, Italy and Greece. I lived in Italy for over 12 years so obviously I am very attached to the country and its culture; as for Greece, well, I spent a lot of time there during the holidays over the years and some of my closest friends are from there. So here are 2 very simple recipes that are sure to transport your taste buds to the mediterranean and which also make perfect amuse-bouche when having guests at home.

ITALY
Raspberry & buffalo mozzarella bites with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar glaze

One day I was at home and wanted to make a simple Caprese salad but realized I didn't have any tomatoes left. I was really craving a Mozzarella salad and not eating one wasn't an option! I had a few raspberries in the fridge so I replaced the tomatoes with these and let me tell you it was simply divine!

Recipe:
Buffalo Mozzarella
Raspberries
Basil
Balsamic vinegar of Modena glaze

Cut the mozzarella as you please and add the raspberries, a leaf of basil and a dash of balsamic glaze. Optional: Add a little extra virgin olive oil. 

Tip:
Make sure that you thoroughly drain the water out of the mozzarella after you cut it or you will end up having a soggy dish. 




GREECE
Watermelon & feta spoons sprinkled with fresh mint leaves

Back in my University years, my Greek friend invited me to stay at her place in Crete. Her mum sure was a great cook and made us some of the most spectacular traditional Greek dishes. The one that touched me the most was a simple dish with watermelon and feta... what a strange combination I thought, but it turned out to be one of my favorite summer dishes up to this day; I introduced this dish to my family and non-Greek friends who also find it a refreshing and original mediterranean flavored salad.  

Recipe:
Feta Cheese
Watermelon (take seeds out)
Fresh mint

Mix the ingredients as you prefer and serve! I opted for a triangle cut which I then served in spoons. 




39 comments:

  1. Those look absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very clever of you to make these, they both look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful, u did good job!

    - Alice

    http://stylist-diaries.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea, fantastic post! :)
    Thanks for sharing!

    Xx,
    Saritschka.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These recipes look very good!:) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mhhmmmm... yummy!

    www.modelovers.com
    www.modelovers.com
    www.modelovers.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. love raspberries!

    thanks for dropping by, i follow you now on bloglovin' (*112) and here (*500 :)). you turn :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those looks so beautiful and absolutely delicious. Very nice ideas.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks absolutely amazing. Not just the food, it looks like a party! Thanks for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. yeah, and italy won the game yesterday :-)))) loved it!!!
    great idea with the recipes! love watermelon and love feta. but never tried it in combo...

    http://profdrskinnybitch.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks very tasty!!! ♥♥♥ S

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post! Lov this recipes I am ure going to try them as soon as possible!
    COuld we please follow each other?I have just started one a week ago and I just have 5 subscribers could you please help me and tell me your opnion about it? I need it www.shineonbyandrea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. it looks amazing!!!

    xoxo!

    self-dressed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. These sound like incredibly interesting flavour combinations!!!!! My mouth actually started watering just reading it - as always you have impeccable photos to accompany a great food post :) HOpe you had a lovely weekend.

    Anna xo
    http://www.lifesshinyprettythings.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  15. pretty pictures! Looks delicious!

    http://www.brightandsassy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I might have to try that watermelon & feta this weekend.....looks so delectable!

    Rebecca
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yum!!! I am both Greek and Italian so they're both very close to my heart :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, both of these look amazing. Love the photos!
    Creamy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Both so good!
    Beautiful pics!
    xxx
    S

    http://s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  20. Both of these recipes sound absolutely delicious. Thanks for sharing!!

    Liz
    chewylove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. what a fantastic and fresh recipe!!!
    I love it!
    a big kiss my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. looks yummy! love the name of the post )))

    If you like it, follow my blog on Bloglovin' and I will follow you back with pleasure. Just let me know in the comments ;)

    LA By Diana Live Magazine

    ReplyDelete
  23. omgg. i want to try both!

    www.beckspick.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mhh, looks delicious and so beautifully arranged!!


    Lissy (Love The Fabulous)

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a stunning presentation!
    Thanks for passing by :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nice Blog!
    Check out mine!!! :-)


    Have a wonderful Day! xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. absolutely amazing presentations!

    http://dear-diary.dawnelia.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. PERFECT little bites. I so love watermelon and feta. I look forward to trying mozerella and raspberries. :)

    xo
    Quiet Luxury


    ReplyDelete
  29. nice post...beautiful presentation..
    thanks for your comment
    kisses
    http://color-blockbyfelym.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. This looks so good and the pictures are awesome! Thanks for visiting my blog and your sweet comment. Would you like to follow each other?

    xo Andrea
    http://uskar-vor-inspire.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Mhmmm this looks delish. I love mozzarella and feta cheese and the combination with raspberrys and watermelon sounds and looks yummy. Perfect for summer. Gonna try this. xo, Petra

    http://www.sweetsoflife86.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hmmmmmm, I think I will try them both!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I've always wanted to try watermelon and feta. These combos look delish!
    www.poolovesboo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. i love you do here and that's why i love summer too! so just take a look at the Ladies black leather Platform Shoes on http://www.cwmalls.com

    ReplyDelete