Thursday, January 24, 2013

Spicy tuna on crispy rice sushi

1

Every time that I go to L.A, one of my must do's is to go at least once to the japanese restaurant Katsuya in Brentwood, their crispy rice spicy tuna sushi is seriously one of the best I have ever tried!! 
Unable to find a close enough replica in any Japanese restaurants here in Singapore, I decided that it was time to try out this mouthwatering (and also healthy) dish. I searched the net for recipes and then I came across the perfect recipe on Gwyneth Paltrow's Goop blog, the recipe is tasty and full of flavors, I really recommend that you try it if you are a sushi/Japanese/raw fish fanatic like myself :) 
(click here for the recipe) 

Personal notes: 
*I couldn't find the Sriracha chili sauce so I used a local Thai chili sauce (see picture 5)

*For those who are not familiar with Japanese cuisine, Gwyneth's recipe uses Furikake to season the rice (picture 6). 
There are different kinds of Furikake seasonings some of the most common ingredients are seaweed, bonito flakes, sesame seeds and dried & ground fish. The Furikake I chose for this recipe also contained horseradish and powdered green tea.

*When frying the rice make sure that you cover your pan as the oil will splatter around and it can be dangerous.

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

10

11

37 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorites as well and it doesn't seem to be so difficult to make. Thanks for sharing!

    Rowena @ rolala loves
    Enter my Shabby Apple Necklace Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, I love sushi!!!
    And this looks so delicious.
    I want to eat it :)))
    Have a great day, sweetie.
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you made this! It looks soooo yummy! Can I just buy it? lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so yummy! I really want to try it. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, great recipe, pls can u post some to my address lol. yummy...
    rock4less.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comment! it would be great if you follow back us in our blog!!

    www.trendiing.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love JAPO and this looks fantastic. I like cooking but I have never try such o sophisticated recipe

    ReplyDelete
  8. they look super exquisite...
    and too cute to be eaten!!!!
    really hungry now!

    I absolutely adore your blog.

    Following u now via Goggle +/ bloglovin/ facebook. Follow me back if you like! ♥
    Say meow to me on:
    Miss Aggie Kwong
    Facebook: Miss Aggie Kwong

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks to you!!!

    iomg this dish is amazing!!! congratulations, you're a chef!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so delicious! Beautiful photos.

    LUXESSED

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks delicious. I love sushi and tuna. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks super tasty but I´m also super alleric to fish and everything from the sea. Sadly.
    xo

    glamDevils

    ReplyDelete
  13. i am seriously insanely impressed with your skills. this looks just completely amazing. i have also been thinking of beginning to make my own sushi esp since i often eat veggie sushi and would save more money if i made it at home!

    http://www.lovefromberlin.net/
    xx rae

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always love having Japanese food!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this looks so yummy! I always eagerly await your recipes!

    _nico

    www.satinandsalt.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. love love love japanese food :) will always be my favouite cuisine
    http://xtheperfectmess.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow this looks so delicious and you make it look so easy!

    http://www.themirroronthewall.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. this post is very very very beautiful!visit my blog and follow me!www.whattowear-quemepongo.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG yum! I love tuna, so I'm definitely going to try this!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. lovely blog! following! check out mine and follow if you like it :)

    http://guesswhatfashion.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks delicious and so beautifully presented. Thank you for the step by step instructions - great photos too.
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  22. YUMM i'm definitely making this soon!

    www.beckspick.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Seems so delicious !

    Http://Fashioneiric.blogspot.com

    Coline !

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh you look like a great chef! It would be nice if you could stop by my blog again, I have made some more recent posts as I post about 5 times a week :):)

    www.raindropsofsapphire.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. i loooooove this recipe!!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I wanna try this !

    Http://Fashioneiric.blogspot.Com

    Coline !

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a cool pics :)

    http://www.facebook.com/AmandaChicFashionRoomLounge?ref=hl
    http://fashionroomlounge.blogspot.com.es/

    A chic kiss ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks Amazing!! Cant wait to try it

    http://alamode101.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete