Monday, October 1, 2012

Tuna & avocado tartare

1

Tartare is one of my favorite dishes to order when I am eating out, whether it is meat, fish or veggie, I just find it so light, refreshing and full of flavor. This weekend it was hotter than usual here in Singapore and a tuna tartare is just what I felt like! Here is my version of a perfect tuna & avocado tartare:

RECIPE ( for 2 people)
100g of fresh tuna 
2 avocados 
1 lime 
Fresh ginger
Chili 
Chives
Spring onions
Wasabi 
Soy sauce
Olive oil
Salt

For the avocado mixture:
1- Cut the avocados in small cubes and add lime juice 
2- Mix in the grated fresh ginger, chopped chili, a pinch of salt and a drizzle of olive oil. set aside (all ingredients to taste)

For the tuna mixture:
1- With a knife cut the tuna in very small pieces (as shown in picture 7)
2- Chop the spring onions, chives and chili and grate some fresh ginger (the amount is to your taste), mix into the finely diced tuna, add a drizzle of olive oil.
3- In a small bowl mix about 2/3 tablespoons of soy sauce with a teaspoon of wasabi. Add to the tuna mixture.

To serve, place a mold or cookie cutter on a plate, fill it halfway with the avocado mixture on the bottom and the top half with the tuna mixture, lift the mold and here is your perfect tuna and avocado tartare!

TIPS
- Make sure the fish is the freshest possible, if unsure, ask your fishmonger and tell him that you will be using it raw

- Always wash the fish under cold water and pat it dry with a kitchen towel (see picture 6)

- An easy way to dice avocado without mashing it is to score the flesh in cubes and then spooning it out (see picture 3&4)

-To give your tartare a little crunch, ad a VERY thin slice of toasted bread or crouton (see last picture)  

Enjoy!

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

36 comments:

  1. Great photos; love how you present the step by step.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm looks so delicious! Thanks for sharing <3


    XO J

    GIVEAWAY on my blog!
    www.style-worthwhile.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg!! amazing!! drooling!

    www.beckspick.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. wait, wait wait wait, you made this? This looks GORGEOUS!

    -liv
    http://chocolivlovelaugh.blogspot.kr/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it, and I make it whenever I find really fresh tuna.
    Yours looks good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow wow wow looking great and delicious i have to try quickly! thanks the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so pretty and so delicious. These photos are great too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmm..Love your blog! I'm a new follower ..would you like to follow me too? :) www.zebracrosser.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks yum - I gotta give it a try!

    Would love to follow you. Can we follow each other?

    Fash Chronicles
    Davao Food: One Plate at a Time

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely to try! it seems so fresh and good! I'd love to taste now!:) Kisses and have a good day!:) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. omg! great recipe! love avocado and looooove tuna!!!

    http://profdrskinnybitch.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so delicious! Would love to try it out one day. I am impressed by your food photos - they look pristine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have actually never tried tartare :) But I love tuna!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello dear, like this?
    I want to wish you a great week.
    Congratulations on your blog, I like it a lot.
    is very beautiful.When you have time come and visit my blog too

    http://couturetrend.blogspot.it/

    I'm on facebook too, with a page refreshed all day.

    http://www.facebook.com/couturetrend1

    I hope your visit, Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  15. Two of my favorite things together! This sounds and looks incredible. Thanks for the recipe :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow...it seems to be delicious.....
    I love tuna and I think that the combination with avocado is perfect!
    I will try it!
    thank you, my dear!
    a big kiss!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This one must be delicious, it's perfect for my tastes and also pretty balanced !

    Fashion and Cookies
    You're invited to enter my giveaway to win a set of 3 trendy bracelets from INPIRATEWETRUST.COM !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Avocado on anything is heaven to me so I'm sure I'd love this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks so yum! Might try :)
    Great photos



    Emm
    SPIN DIZZY FALL
    Visit my blog - http://spindizzyfall.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  20. So yummy! I have to try this recipe!!
    Following you on Bloglovin, hope you'll follow me back! <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks sooo good!!

    http://thefashionfairyblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow your posts are so amazing and this one really inspires me! Keep up the good work girl, and stop by to see my new post!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ziet er heerlijk en prachtig uit! Bijna jammer dat ik geen vlees eet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yum, yum! With the picture alone, I'm just ready to lick the screen!
    A big hug!

    Inés
    SimplyClassyMe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. tuna tartare has got to be one of my favorite things in life. this one looks insanely delish!
    www.poolovesboo.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. mmmm It look great :) I've to try to done :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. this looks so amazing! i have never ever thought of making tuna tartar at home but it looks relatively easy. thanks so much for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  28. YUM! That looks so easy and delicious! Definitely trying this. xxx

    Aisha
    www.themiddleofhere.com

    ReplyDelete